The Château du Bois de la Salle Estate

admin
Comments Off

The castle’s outbuildings, which used to house the grooms’ quarters, the stables, the saddlery, and the bakery, have been converted into three guest apartments for 2 to 6 people.

 

The Castle

It was built by Michel-Henry de Méhérenc, Marquis de Saint-Pierre (Born on 15 August 1660 in Saint-Benoît de Paris)

The outbuildings

In earlier days they housed the groom’s quarters, the stables, the saddlery and the bakery.

The chapel

It is located in the corner of the enclosed courtyard, symmetrically opposite a pavilion in the same style, as in a large number of seigneurial properties.It contains statues of Saint-Michel et de Saint-Gouéno, an alter designed by Corlay,as well as a painting of the Assumption of Mary, stabbed by bayonet knocks by the troops which occupied the castle during the Revolution.

The orangery

In winter, this closed building with large windows, was used to house vegetables grown in tubs or pots, and to protect other plants from the frost.

Ther gardener’s house

As it’s name indicates, this house has always been used by the gardener in charge of the land surrounding the castle.

The dovecote

With its slate roof and lantern, was built in 1701 by de Méhérenc de Saint Pierre family.The inside of the dovecote, a space granted to the pigeons, is divided into nest boxes also called putlogs. Each putlog represents a pair pigeons’ accomodation.
Its charateristic is its central staircase which allows visit all the breeding grounds.

The calvary

This typical Breton cross, which was also used as a repository, depicts a pieta. Its base is decorated with the coat of arms of Michel-Henry de Méhérenc de Saint Pierre and of Thérèse Le Chaponnier.It is situated next to Pléguien church.

HISTORY

Its history can be traced back to the 16th century, when the Bois de la Salle was a “maison noble”, in other words exempt from hearth tax and home to the MAUGOUER family, later to be passed through marriage into the LE CAPONNIER de KERGRIST family. The castle was burnt down in 1642 but partially rebuilt.In 1701, Renée-Thérèse LE CHAPONNIER married Michel-Henry de MEHERENC, Marquis de SAINT PIERRE, native of Normandy, who was an army officer whose garrison happened to be posted in Chatelaudren.

According to the accounts book, which he started keeping in 1701, the dovecote was built in August that same year. He laid out the vegetable garden and added a floor over part of the living quarters in 1702. The cleaning of the pond began on the 1st of May and was finished in August 1706, a total of 300 days work. The service quarters were built in 1718. The Capel and the saddlery were started on 1st August 1720 and finished in July 1723, as were the walls of the courtyard (mentioned the history of the Côtes du Nord department and Saint-Brieuc district by Benjamin Jolivet, Guingamp, 1854).

A row of oaks lines an avenue, neither too long nor too short and distinguished from other examples from this period, by its off-centre position in relation to the property. This keeps the Chateau and its estate hidden from view until the last moment.

As you arrive, the gentle slope of the land gives a view overt the ensemble of the buildings and the esplanade, distinctly marked off by the surrounding walls. This approach to the building’s southern façade renders the view all the more perfect as the buildings are bathed in light, and the slope allows a wide view over the property and gives a good idea of its shape.

A well-designed building should celarly reflect its puprose and the social status of its occupants, especially in the case of residences. The Bois de la Salle clearly stands out as as seignorial house built for the pleasure of its occupants.

What strikes as unique about the Bois de la Salle is that the property, built in the 17th century, has always been occupied by the descendants of its builder, giving it strong sentimental value as a living testament to history.