ACTIVITIES IN THE SURROUNDINGS

Businesses and Services

Tourist Offices and Places of Interest

Tourist Office
Brehat Island
The Jagu Rock
Abbey of Beauport
Paimpol

Tourist Office

Brehat Island

ileDistance from rent location: 31 km The island is composed of two island when high tide. The northern island of Moors landscape and the more flowery southern island; are connected by the Vauban bridge. Rocks at the water surface surrounding the archipelago of Bréhat form dangerous stumbling blocks, yachting is particularly difficult and requires substantial expirience. Its microclimate, particularly soft in winter, offers a wild variety flowers and plants. It is one of rare places in Northern Brittany where Mediterranean plants and species can growsince frost is rare.

The Jagu Rock

rocheDistance from rent location: 28 km Middle Age Castle The Roche-Jagu castle was built, for its oldest part, in the end of the Middle Ages. The frontage above the river provides defense with its covered way with machicolation. The lodging house is constituted by a single in-depth main building, the entrance of which is made by a door topped with a niche. The first floor still possesses its mullioned windows but the second floor and the roof were reshaped several times.The kitchen is the only room preserved in its original state. The castle was classified « Historic Monument » on June 25th, 1930 then the outer wall, the gate and the surrounding flags on January 27th, 1969. Permanent and Temporary exhibitions all year through.

Abbey of Beauport

abbayeDistance from rent location: 23 km It was established in 1202. Alain Ier d’ Avaugour, count of Penthièvre and Goëlo called on to the community of the regular canons of the Prémontrés settled in the abbey of Lucerne in the diocese of Avranches in Normandy. The order of Prémontré was established in 1120, by Norbert de Xanten, archbishop of Magdeburg. A century later it includes 600 household from Ireland to Cyprus and from Sweden to Italy. A general abbot managed of a firm hand and established a multinational company in order to implement its mission of serving the surrounding parishes. Land and finances where needed to create an abbey,the count of the Goëlo agreed in 1202 to give to Prémontrés lands on a bedrock by the delta of Correc and Kerfot: a swampy zone, baptized » The Gooses’ Meadow « .After receiving several other donations, The order of Prémontrés realized what a » beautiful harbor » they could work at. Provided with the papal bull of 1203, which granted them numerous privileges such as the possibility of building extensions and other buildings. Canons protected the sideboard parishes and particularly the one of Kérity. Nevertheless, the community was under the scrutiny of Rome. In 1207, the papacy reminded the Beauport Abbotthet britton was the spoken language and the necessity of appointing vice-chancellors only amoung the priests who would speak it. The abbey was very prosperous during the XIIIth and XIVth centuries then maintain itself through the end of the XVIIth and beginning of XVIIIth century. It declined a lot after 1750 and was finally closed in 1790. Louis Morand, the initiator of the fishing in Iceland to Paimpol, bought a part of it in 1797. The rest became the property of the municipality of Kérity.

Paimpol

paimpolDistance from rent location: 25 km A harbor famous for cod-fisherman since the Middle Ages. Paimpol is famous for having been at the beginning of the XXth century, one of the biggest fishing harbor off Iceland openseas. Pierre Loti wrote a novel in 1886: “ Fisherman of Iceland”. Europe discovers, from the beginning of the XVth century, thanks to the Portuguese trade) a fish: the cod and the increasing consumption of this product, generating a considerable increase of flotillas to go fishing in open sea. In France, Britton sailors of Paimpol and Saint-Malo, Norman sailors of Barfleur and Dieppe, finally others of La Rochelle and Basque Country sailed off to the Canadian coast and the Saint Laurent Gulf for cod.

Diverse Activities